Changes to services during the COVID-19 pandemic
Public worship this summer
From 12 July until the end of August, we are pleased to offer the following services in our parishes. This pattern will be reviewed for September.
St Michael and All Angels’ Church, Heavitree
Sunday 9:30 Mass (said, with organ music)
St Mary Steps, Exeter
Sunday 9:30 Mass (said)
St Lawrence’s, Heavitree
Sunday 10:30 Mass (said)
St Clare’s, Livery Dole
Thursday 10:30 Mass (said)
If you have symptoms of COVID-19 we ask you to follow the Government’s instructions and to self-isolate.
- Hand sanitiser will be provided at the doors of all churches and we ask that everyone uses it. Those involved in organising worship will be taking extra steps to ensure the safety of others.
- During worship Communion will still be shared, but only the Host (the Body of Christ) will be received.
- The Peace will not be shared.
- Disposable service sheets will be provided.
- Physical distancing means that alternate pews may only be used, and a one-way system in place.
It is not compulsory to wear face coverings in places of worship. However, of you do choose to wear one you must take the following additional precautions:
- At no point must you touch your face covering. It can only be adjusted by the straps.
- When it comes to receiving communion you must sanitise your hands: 1) before removing your covering, 2) after you have removed it, 3) before you replace it, and 4) after you have replaced it.
- You must not handle the face covering (other than by the straps), rest it on your chin/forehead or other part your body because this will cause a greater risk to you or other people.
Unless you are the kind of person who spits when they talk you may find that, at a celebration of the Mass, it is more hygienic not to wear and handle a face covering, and to maintain strict physical distancing instead.
Last updated: Sunday, 26 July 2020
This page will be updated as more information becomes available.